Leather working is an intricate art, composed by a lots of steps. Some of them affects the leather edges.
The cutting step creates a squared edge. It is really important to sand the edge to get a smooth and uniform surface.
To obtain a more refine cut, the best option is to use the edge beveler.
How to use it
Here a very simply step by step guide on how to use the Edge beveler:
- Put the edge between the groove;
- push it from one end to the other;
- repeat the operation.
Choose the dimension
But which dimension to choose? The decision changes according to 3 variables:
- Thickness of the leather;
- type of leather;
- rounded corners.
For example, considering our classic leather edge beveler
- Beveler 1 (0.75mm)- thin edges or little rounded angles;
- Beveler 2 (1.0 mm) - all propose size;
- Beveler 3 (1.2 mm) - thick edges or well rounded angles.
Using a Beveler 1 on a think leather is pretty much pointless. Consider the thickness of the leather before choosing the edge beveler.
Extra tip for sharpening:
- Place a 800 grit sandpaper around the metal rod and put a drop of oil on the sandpaper.
- Hold the sandpaper with your fingers along the edges and carefully smooth the wrapped metal rod.
- Repeat this process with the 1200 grit sandpaper to give the blade the final finish.
Need more info?